Assessment 20/21 School Year
West Virginia General Summative Assessment (WVGSA)
All students grades 3-8
The Assessment for students grades 3-8 is completed entirely online.
Students will test over multiple days within a window determined by the district and school
(State Window 3/29/20 - 5/28/20)
Preston County Testing Dates (TBA)
* The assessment is computer-adaptive, such that how a student answers one question may determine the follow-up question, and features a set of questions from a testing vendor. This question bank will be supplemented by items designed by West Virginia Educators.
|Subjects Assessed||Grade Levels Tested||Number of Days to Complete|
|Science||5 & 8||1 day|
* each tested segment is estimated to take the students approximately 2 hours to complete
For more information and resources about the WVGSA, visit the WV Assessment Portal
SAT School Day
All students in grade 11
SAT West Virginia 2020 Parental Consent Form (TBA)
All students in grade 11 will be assessed on April 13, 2021.*
One make up day will be held on April 27, 2021
The assessment will take place at Preston High School and will last roughly 4 hours.
Participating students may have the opportunity to use their results for college entrance determination.
*allowances for alternate days between 4/14 and 4/27 created for students receiving accommodations approved by CollegeBoard
Students can check SAT School day results at this website: https://sat.collegeboard.org/home
Home Schooled Students (DUE JANUARY 15,2021)
Home School students, grades 3-8 and 11, wishing to participate in State Testing MUST review the following information and complete the online corresponding survey prior to January 15, 2021. Only registrations received through this date will be approved for participation during the administration of the Spring 2021 assessments.
West Virginia General Summative Assessment (Students grades 3-8)
- The State testing window for the WVGSA is April 4 – May 27, 2020. Each School will identify their respective testing windows. Darla Moyers will talk to your child’s testing school and get back with you on dates and times to bring your child(ren) into test.
- Testing will take place over multiple days. To receive a score, students must complete the entire assessment.
To register your child to take the WVGSA (Grades 3-8) please complete the following online registration form by January 10, 2020. You can find the link under the Departments/Assessment sections on the Preston County Board of Education page (prestonboe.com) or at this website link.
West Virginia Golden Horseshoe Test (Students in Grade 8 Only)
* The testing window for the Golden Horseshoe Test will be from February 15 – February 26, 2021. Each school will identify their respective test date. Darla Moyers will talk to your child’s testing school and get back with you on the dates and times to bring your child(ren) into test.
SAT School Day (11th grade students):
- If you have an 11th grade student participating in the SAT School day, they must test on April 14, 2019.
- To register your child to take the 11th grade SAT School Day, please complete the following online registration form by January 10, 2020. Darla Moyers will contact you on dates and times to bring your child to Preston High School. You can find the link under the Departments/Assessment Section on the Preston County Board of Education page (prestonboe.com) or at this website
Questions can be addressed to:
Telephone: 304-329-0580 Ext. 250
The West Virginia Department of Education created the following documents to support families in interpreting their student's assessment results. (2018-2019)
WVGSA - Grades 3-8
SAT School Day - Grade 11
WVGSA/SAT School Day Lexile/Quantile Report
Darla D. Moyers
304-329-0580 Ext. 250